Sunday, October 24, 2010

exploring oils

So as I have mentioned previously, I am currently taking a painting class, fully titled: "oil based media eploration" and we've been covering a wide range of techniques. Our first painting was a direct painting of a still life using a very limited palette. Our second was an alla prima of the figure. I have not been given either of these paintings back yet after submitting them for grading, but I will be sure to have them photographed as soon as I do so that I can share them with you guys! For now though, I do have the underpainting for our next project for which we are using a glazing technique.

The assignment for content, was to create a collage of three or more images based on the theme "words to live by". Well, I was having such a hard time settling on just one proverb, and I told my teacher that I just really wanted to paint a goldfish. She was all for the idea and said I could go for it. The underpainting was done using the optical gray technique of painting white onto a dry burnt sienna ground. ALSO! I built this canvas from scratch with wood from HOME DEPOT! Who would have ever thought I would be in that store willingly? haha! And I stretched and primed the canvas myself. I have to say, I'm pretty proud! I'm not the most handy person when it comes to building things, but I'm very pleased with my canvas. =)


No comments:

Post a Comment